Import/Export Services

We offer all of the following services and Dr. Jensen is also a licensed Brand Inspector.

  • Please schedule an inspection of your animals for the following tests and certificates at least 7-10 days before you are planning to transport livestock (longer for weekends and holidays) and please allow 48-72 business hours for process and issue of Health Certificates.
  • Testing and result times vary depending on the day samples are received and wait times at the lab that are out of our control. Please be aware there are times when it may take longer than 7-10 days from the time the sample was sent out before results are reported back to us.

State laws require all livestock being imported or exported to have Health Certificates and Lab Testing to ensure the health of the animal (or herd) and prevent the spread of diseases. Some states have different requirements than others so it is always best to check with your Veterinarian or click here for each states’ specific requirements. 

Utah requirements: then scroll down the list and chose the type of animal(s) being transported.

Health Certificates: for all livestock

Issued by a licensed Veterinarian after he/she has inspected the animal or herd. The animal (or herd) should be inspected a few days prior to shipment because the valid date for these certificates varies by state. Some states only accept a health certificate for up to 30 days after it is issued.

Lab Testing:


Coggins ( Elisa): This is a blood test to ensure that the horse does not have a viral infection called Equine Infectious Anemia. This disease is transmitted by horseflies and is fatal. A blood sample will be taken from each horse and sent to the state lab for testing. Results normally take a couple of days and if the results are negative a Coggins certificate will then be issued by the veterinarian.

For Western states surrounding Utah

Coggins valid for 6 months from issue date: WA, OR, CA, ID, NV

Coggins valid for 1 year from issue date: UT, AZ, CO, MT, NM, ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, TX, WY


Trichomoniasis (trich): In response to requests from the Utah Cattleman’s Association and Utah Farm Bureau, Utah animal health regulations now require all resident bulls over nine months of age and bulls entering Utah, to be tested negative for trichomoniasis. This testing is to be done by an accredited veterinarian. Results are reported back the veterinarian who will then notify the owner of the results.

 All bulls tested will be tagged with a current Official State of Utah Trichomoniasis test tag to allow for permanent identification. Any bulls testing positive are prohibited from sale as breeding animals and must go to slaughter within 10 days. Any bulls purchased for breeding purposes must be tested negative for trichomoniasis prior to change of ownership and before exposure to any cows.

Visit: for more information of Utah regulations regarding trich in cattle

*Please note that a trich tag does not ensure a negative result, only that a sample has been taken from the bull for testing.

Brucellosis (Bangs): By Utah state law 1) All replacement beef heifer calves from four to 12 months of age should have official calf-hood vaccinates (OCV) for brucellosis, and appropriately tattooed and tagged by an accredited veterinarian. 2)Unvaccinated or unverifiable brucellosis vaccinated beef cattle over 12 months of age must be tested negative for brucellosis if sold for breeding in Utah.

Brand Inspection: Are required by law and must be done by a licensed brand inspector before transporting animals and must be current. Cost varies on the length of time the inspection is valid for.

Horses: (1) It is recommended but not required that horse owners record a brand with the state and have their horses branded. A freeze brand may be more eye appealing and less painful that the hot iron brand, but either will work.

Cattle: (1) All cattle that forage on open range must be branded with a Utah recorded brand. You should always carry your wallet-size brand card with you. It is recommended that all cattle not grazing on open range also be branded with a recorded brand to assist in the return of stray cattle and to prevent theft.

(1) See this website for other requirements and recommendations by the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food:

International Transport:

For transporting animals internationally please visit this website: